I would rate this week a 4. In light of all the changes that have been made changing to a virtual learning platform, I have been very pleased with the contact I have had with my students and their families. I accomplished completing my videos for my final week of teaching, which is almost unbelievable, that the 10 weeks have come to an end. I was pleasantly surprised by the support my CE and other PreK teacher have asked from me, as they also transition to the online format of lessons. I have been able to help them learn about using Zoom, creating youtube channels, and uploading video links to deliver lessons to children.
My short term goals of adapting to the online format of lesson planning has brought me much closer to my long term goal of getting my teaching license, as I now feel more prepared to handle the unexpected when it comes to teaching. I feel like much of my time has gone into adjusting to virtual teaching, which is especially challenging when so much of teaching young children is interactive. I know that the time and effort I have put into this has been rewarding, I even had a parent message me through Remind to tell me that her child thought my videos were "so cool!" I spent some time on my portfolio, but would have liked more time for that. I will be spending the next week focusing on that, so it can be completed as soon as possible. In addition to teaching virtually, another challenge has come with my daughter being out of school... I am now essentially homeschooling my sixth grader while teaching preschool, and completing my own coursework. I have confidence in getting it done, but it is a challenge!
I do not feel as though I was held back by apprehension, but actually got more comfortable doing virtual lessons as I worked through them. Next week, my logical next steps are to complete my portfolio and my end-of-experience assignment, then begin submitting some artifacts to Taskstream. With the virtual teaching that is appropriate for my children, assessment data has been limited, however, I do have some who frequently send my pictures of things they are doing related to my lessons, like drawing themselves playing ball, as I had requested this week.
I have been doing multiple professional development webinars, focusing on NCTCS 4 and 5, however, I feel almost as if I am starting over with implementation of the teacher candidate standards, due to the new ways of delivering instruction to my students.
My portfolio is nearly complete, with the exception of my Professional Development Reflection, Student Teaching Video, Dispositions, and addition to the other artifacts that my come available as the semester continues. My supervisor has been incredibly supportive throughout the semester, especially during this time of uncertainty, and I cannot think of any additional support I need at the time. My CE also does not need additional support, to my knowledge.
Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI am so inspired by how well you are handling being a mom, a student teacher, and working on all of our assignments! Keep working hard on the portfolio; you just have to take it piece by piece and it will all come together. Next week, we will have our EdTPA scores back and you will have accomplished your LAST week of full time student teaching! The light at the end of this tunnel (semester) is so near and I believe that you are more than prepared to become a licensed teacher.
-Taylor
I am sure that virtually teaching with pre-k is such a neat experience! I do not see the parent side of things, but my brother is in 6th grade, so I have been trying to help in any way that I can! Every school is doing things so differently. Keep up the great work. Maybe a routine will help you find a balance!
ReplyDeleteJessica,
ReplyDeleteI understand how hard it must be to teach your students virtually, I am in kindergarten and it has been difficult at times. Maintaining good contact with parents is a must especially when the students are so little. Good luck next week, you got this!
It's so great to hear that you are teaching your CE and other teammates things about technology! I have done the same with my team. Staying in contact with your parents is a great thing that we need to continue to do. Great job!!
ReplyDeleteI think it is great that you have finished your last week of teaching videos. I can't believe that we have made it this far! When we first started I never thought we would get to this point but we made it! Its so good to hear that you are still staying in contact with your parents.
ReplyDelete-Ashley Singleton