Friday, March 6, 2020

EDU 450 Weekly Reflection 9

I would rate this week as a four. While it was a very good week overall, I have to say, I stressed about edTPA until I clicked the submission link! I am now already anxiously awaiting the results, and would be thrilled to receive a score that would make me highly qualified, however will be happy just to pass! I feel like submitting this was such a milestone achievement and I am very happy to have it behind me.
Next week, I will be more focused on my portfolio and student teaching experience as a whole, because these are the most important aspects of finishing the semester. Next week I will also begin planning for parent-teacher conferences and K-Day Brigance screenings. I will use the training my CE has provided to score children for Preschool and Kindergarten readiness.
My short-term efforts of planning conferences and Brigance screenings will benefit my long-term goal of becoming a professional early childhood educator. Focusing on my portfolio will also help me meet my long-term goal of graduating.
I feel that currently, my time is being used fairly well, and for the time being at least, I have found a good balance of my course responsibilities, classroom responsibilities, and my responsibilities in my personal life. I am also using more of my time in the classroom to engage with my students and align my instruction to their individual needs.
I did not feel apprehension about much this week, and felt quite accomplished with the amount of positive encouragement I have received since submitting my edTPA. Next week, my first logical steps are to plan and complete at least one element of my portfolio, create lesson plans early in preparing for parent-teacher conferences, and make arrangements to attend a half-day Professional Development training in the near future.
Data I have analyzed this week was based on the Brigance screenings done at the beginning and middle of the year, to understand the screening process and how much growth the children in my class are showing. I am currently focusing on NCTCS 2, 3 and 4, as I plan to engage with diverse groups of family members during conferences, build my understanding and ability to express the content of Preschool curriculum and standards to families, and better facilitate learning for my students by tailoring my instruction to a wide range of needs and abilities.
For my portfolio, I have already completed my website, and have begun putting together my Global Awareness artifact, and my SIP artifact. I feel like the student teaching video will be the most daunting task for the portfolio, so I plan to start that within the next few days, as well. At this point, I feel that I need no additional support, and to my knowledge, I do not think my CE needs any additional support from my University Supervisor.

5 comments:

  1. Jessica,

    Congratulations on submitting edTPA this week! That is such a huge milestone accomplishment in student teaching. It is awesome that you can now use more time during the school day to engage with your students. Good luck on the upcoming screening and parent-teacher conferences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,

    I am so impressed with all of your progress! You are doing a great job managing your tasks and completing assignments! In middle grades, we usually have parent-teacher conferences per parents' request. I also need to start focusing more on the portfolio and preparing for the end of the semester. We are so close! Submitting our EdTPA portfolios is such an accomplishment!

    -Taylor Hildebrand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,
    Next week I plan on focusing more on my portfolio as well. I hope to start doing better on keeping up with it and getting it to where it needs to be. I am also looking forward to really being able to teach now that edTPA is over. I am so happy for you that you were able to submit successfully. I know you put in a lot of hard work and it will pay of come April when we get our scores back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica,
    I agree, I could not stop thinking about it until I hit the final submit button. I am also going to now focus more on my portfolio now that edTPA is out of the way. I pray we all passes! Good luck next week!
    -Ashley Singleton

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica!
    I'm so happy you were able to complete everything for your edTPA, I know this was a big stress for all of us. Getting everything submitted was a huge weight lifted off! Great job this week, you sound like you are loving your student teaching experience!

    ReplyDelete