I would rate this week a 3. It was a little hectic with parent conferences, the Fun Run we had this Friday, and the growing concern of the coronavirus, both from our staff and parents of students. I was very pleased with the parent conferences I conducted, and got very good feedback from my CE in my ability to communicate with parents. She even told me I handled them "like a seasoned pro," which made me feel very confident in how these went.
We spent time in each conference discussing students' ability to identify letters, and while there has been tremendous growth over the year for our students, there is still room for greater improvement. I plan to continue incorporating opportunities for students to build their letter recognition in my future lesson plans. My short-term efforts are still aligned to becoming a proficient early childhood educator, as I work to develop lessons aligned to both the Creative Curriculum, and the needs of my students.
I feel like I could have spent more time planning for the upcoming week, however, during this week, I also began to feel sick, and while I did not miss any days at my school, my time at home was spent resting and trying to focus on my health, especially with the high level of concern at the current time.
I did not feel apprehensive this week, and am still very comfortable in my placement. I love my CE, TA, and all of my students. I did not work as much on my portfolio artifacts this week as I was focusing on my health but next week, I plan to work on those artifacts intensively, including my student teaching video. I feel this is the largest task at the current time, and I will feel relieved when I have started that artifact.
During conferences, I analyzed data related to my students fine motor development, their ability to write their names, draw a person, and identify letters. These are areas that demonstrate kindergarten readiness, and the data will be used to build on these skills. I will also start Brigance Screenings next week to prepare for K-Day and incoming Preschoolers.
I focused this week on building my proficiency in NCTCS 3 by taking several online professional development trainings, and NCTCS 4 by integrating the use of my Smart Board more frequently. I have also been taking more anecdotal notes during the day to increase NCTCS 5, and reflect on my practice after giving direct instruction.
Again, this week, I have not worked on my portfolio as much as I would have liked, but feel as though getting an early start on some of these was very beneficial as I had time to focus on getting myself healthy again. At this time, I do not need any additional support from my University Supervisor, and to my knowledge, my CE needs no additional support.
Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry you did not have the best week this past week. I know that will get better, but I also know it sounds like you had a very busy week. I am so glad you had the experience of parent conferences and that you handled those so well. It also sounds like to me that your teacher was very impressed with how well you handled them as well. I hope you have a better week.
Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI think that is awesome that you CE let you talk with the parents and lead them in the meeting! I love that you got to have that experience and you did so well with it. I am sure that the corona virus is very scary thinking about your pre-k kids getting it. Hopefully these two weeks separated will keep them and you healthy.
Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you were engaged in conferences! I have been as well, and it is a great learning experience. It is great to meet with parents and have their support. You did a great job working on all of your standards, and had some great experiences this week. Make sure to keep parents informed of what's going on at school and for them (and you) to stay healthy. Things will get better!
Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI think it is great that you got to see parent conferences and engage in them. I hope that the corona virus doesn't get as serious and people are thinking. We can only hope!
-Ashley Singleton