I would give this week a rating of 5! It was a great week! I was worried I may be coming down with something contagious of my own early on in the week, but after a visit to the doctor and negative flu and strep tests, I was able to get treated for an early sinus infection. Later in the week we were very busy and excited for Valentine's Day this Friday, and my first unannounced observation was done this Thursday. All of my students were back and healthy, which was wonderful. I had some very successful lessons, with very high levels of engagement from my students, and great feedback from my CE, and my University Supervisor. I feel like I needed a good week like this, after having stressed over edTPA so much recently.
After reflecting on this week, I believe I need to focus on my collection of documentation and professional development engagement in the upcoming weeks. I also think I need to have more confidence in myself, as I have been very concerned with things I have reached out to other professionals for support on, and they have assured me that I am "doing great." It is hard to feel that way though, when I see the perfection I strive for being so far from where I am. But, it leaves me plenty of room to improve!
I will focus on putting more effort in the short term by collecting anecdotal notes and Galileo data to base my instruction around, directly aligned to the abilities of my students, effectively guiding my long term goal of helping them achieve kindergarten readiness skills. I will also continue working on my portfolio and edTPA submission documents in my long-term goal of getting my teaching license. This week, I could have spent more time focusing on my portfolio, but this was put on hold while I focused heavily on completing and reviewing edTPA tasks. I find it easier to concentrate on one or the other at certain times and feel better about the quality of my work this way.
I am not feeling much apprehension at this point, and hope that my upcoming lesson and global awareness integration goes as planned, although I am ready to make necessary adaptations based on my students' engagement and understanding as the lessons progress. My steps for next week will be focused on completing my lesson plans early, continuing to work on edTPA and completing my classroom website. As the website is completed, I will be able to shift my focus to other important portfolio artifacts that need my attention.
My main data was gathered this week through observations, and it guided how I delivered my instruction. During our group time, I was able to gauge my students interest in the learning focus, and made adaptations to my instruction to improve engagement and understanding for all students. I had some wonderful work samples created by my students, however these were done on white boards and lost when students erased their work. I will be sure to have students recreate these work samples on paper, or take a photograph the next time work samples are created this way.
I plan to focus more on NC TCS 4, facilitating learning for my students by continuing my professional development through trainings available either online or offered by the OSR, and NC TCS 5, reflecting on my practice by acquiring more documentation around which to shape my instruction based on the abilities of my students and determining what new skills they are ready to attain. As I mentioned before, my website is almost completed, which will open up my time to focus on other portfolio artifacts I have started, including my PDP and developing classroom management plan. I do not feel as though I need any extra support at this time, as I reach out to my University Supervisor regularly and receive feedback quickly. My CE does not need any additional support at the current time either, that I am aware of, although she has contact information to reach out to my US at anytime.
Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that you had a great and productive week! We are so close to submitting EdTPA, which can be stressful, but it will be so satisfying. Keep up the great work as I know preparing for the portfolio and keeping up the live binder can be stressful as well. Maybe if you could ask the students to hold up their boards and snap a quick picture, you could get evidence that way as well of your students' work. Reading about all of your progress has me motivated to keep working hard and making progress on my assignments as well! Thank you!
-Taylor Hildebrand
Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI also recently came down with a sinus infection, and it was not fun at all. I hope you get to feeling better soon! I completely relate to feeling like my portfolio has been placed on the back burner. However, I am in agreement with you that I focus better on one thing at a time. It will all get done eventually!
Jessica,
ReplyDeleteIt sounds to me that you had a very good week in your classroom. I want to say that I have not been working on my portfolio because I have been focusing my time on getting my edTPA done. I think this should be our main focus right now. Keep working hard this coming week.
Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI need to focus on gathering stuff for my binder and gathering documentation as well! I feel like there is so much that I have to do and I have to remember to be doing it all and it's so hard. Sometimes my brain likes to get one thing done at a time. For example, I feel as if I need to finish and turn in edTPA before I can work on my portfolio but I can't do that. I have to do it all at once. I love that you had a good observation and I love that your students were engaged!