Next week, I will be teaching my edTPA lessons and I am still anxious about that. I feel right now that my short-term goals are getting in the way of my long-term goals and vice versa. When I think about the things I need to finish by the end of the week, I feel like there are so many small details I have to work out and submissions to keep up with, that the finish line gets fuzzy. When I think about long-term things like graduation, I feel stuck on what to do next in the short-term. I am hoping I will feel more focused after my edTPA teaching week is over, and some of that stress is gone.
I think I could have spent more time preparing my materials for my lessons. I think it will be better for me to plan and gather my materials a week in advance and keep them organized by day so they are ready when I need them, instead of doing this the morning of the activity. As I already have my materials for next week ready, if I begin planning for week 3 now, I will hopefully stay ahead in my planning.
I did feel some apprehension this week, as I still feel a bit strange taking over someone else's classroom. It did not stop me from taking on classroom responsibility or inhibit my instruction, but it stays in my mind every day. I can't help but remember I am a guest in my CE's classroom, and even though she has been so welcoming, supportive, and encouraging to me, it still feels a little weird to "be in charge" of her classroom. I know it's only temporary and that I will feel better about it as I go on. Next week, I plan to continue working on lesson plans to stay ahead and portfolio artifacts to get those completed as soon as possible. I am currently looking at data on my students' ability to recall the names of various buildings, as well as each buildings purpose. The data collected from the lesson this week will allow me to determine students' readiness to move on to the next unit, or if we need to revisit some of the information and skill building activities before students are ready to move on. I think my advice for other student teachers this week would be to take your vitamins and do everything you can to stay healthy! The flu is so scary right now, we had a minimum of 7 confirmed cases by only Tuesday of this week.
In terms of strengthening my proficiency in the NC TCS, I am focusing on facilitating learning for my students by integrating more opportunities to engage in multiple learning domains related to the lesson content, and collecting data to inform my instructional plans so that I may reflect on my practice and better meet the needs of my students.
I have started to focus more on my student teaching video plans, recording every lesson so I have plenty of clips to use and rewriting my philosophy. I have also begun integrating my global awareness plans for the month of January into this weeks lesson, and am creating February global awareness plans. I think it will be good for me to narrow my focus and be more productive on specific tasks instead of doing a little all over the place. I met with my University Supervisor this Thursday, and she answered all of my questions, so I can not think of any additional support needed at this time.
Jessica,
ReplyDelete"Making it" through your first full week of teaching when students were going home sick is certainly something bragworthy! I completely understand what you are saying about getting overwhelmed with the short-term and long-term goals. It helps to make a list and prioritize what needs to be done "right now" and what can wait. I often make lists and move things around daily to keep up with what needs to be done. I'm sure that as you get into the groove of things, you will come up with your own system that helps you do what you need to do.
I know you will do so well when you teach your edtpa this coming week! Good luck to you, and I am praying for you.
Beth
Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI know how it feels there has been a lot of sickness in my classroom also including myself. I think that it would be great to add some additional transitional activities. You will do great teaching your edTPA! Try no to stress! LOL. Good luck with everything this week.
-Ashley
Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear about your sick kiddos. I know it can take a toll on you when you have sweet kiddos out for being sick. I would like to say that you do have brag-worthy accomplishments. You have taken over the classroom for your first week and that is such a big accomplishment. I am also glad to hear that your kiddos have made the adjustment. Keep up the hard work these next weeks.
I think every teacher in America has had one of those weeks when they feel like they "just made it though". You are learning so much and are always open to your CE's recommendations. I hope you will always be a reflective teacher.
ReplyDelete