Friday, January 10, 2020

EDU 450 Weekly Reflection 1


I would rate this week as a 5, it was a great week!
This week, I was pleased to see how quickly my students have adjusted to returning to school after the holiday break. I was able to assist my CE in collecting mid-year work samples from students and contribute to the school-wide Backpack Ministry program, which provides food to families of students in need, by donating 90 pounds of oranges. I was able to put in place some classroom management strategies and engage the students in brief periods of instruction to assist the transition of classroom control from my CE to myself.
My experiences this week have shown me that the students will need some time to adjust to my role in the classroom and I will build their understanding of the transition by actively assuming greater responsibility each day. Because I was only present a few days each week last semester, I believe my daily presence in the classroom will help them gain understanding of the transition.
I am currently focusing on building relationships with my students and discussing upcoming plans with my CE. I believe establishing bonds with students will deepen their connections to my teaching and creating a well-developed plan will allow for a smooth transition of classroom responsibility.
I think I could have spent more time involving myself in my CE’s instruction, however, want to take this on at a careful, consistent pace, so as not to cause confusion among students, I am currently seated close to the group during instruction and plan to accompany my CE at the front of the group next week before taking over the instruction.
I did not feel any apprehension or indecision this week, and instead took on all classroom responsibilities offered, taking initiative many times, especially in regards to classroom management and maintaining classroom order. I assisted students in maintaining proper volume, gained their focus before transitions, maintained order during brief moments of down time between transitions, and led the line multiple times throughout the day.
Next week, I will take on more classroom responsibility and take more opportunities to involve myself in instruction as I prepare to take over teaching. I do not feel as though I have much “mental clutter” to clear, however can make a sequential plan to be successful.
Data I have analyzed this week includes my student IEPs and work samples. This will shape my instructional decisions by allowing me to analyze the abilities and areas of weakness of my students, specifically which skills they need to build on.
One piece of advice I would share with other student teachers at this point would be to enjoy your students. They each have personality and strengths that will shine if we take a few moments to appreciate them as individuals.
To increase my rating for element 1 of the NC TCS, I used positive management of student behavior by assisting children with conflict management multiple times each day. For element 2, I focused on engaging my student with autism in classroom activities, per his IEP. I provided him with support and encouraged his peer interactions, which were successful. For element 3, I prompted student curiosity beyond required coursework when we noticed a burnt-out light bulb. We discussed the filament inside a light bulb and how, when it goes bad, the light bulb doesn’t work anymore. For element 4, I am working to establish classroom practices that encourage all students to develop effective communication skills. When children have a problem, I am encouraging them to talk to one another and share how they feel, instead of intervening immediately to solve the problem for them. For element 5, I am actively seeking opportunities to expand my professional knowledge and build my professional skills. I have several planned professional development experiences and will be shown by my CE some of her data collecting resources and technologies outside of my student teaching requirements.
For my portfolio, I have begun building my classroom website and my resume, as well as my lesson plans and School Improvement Plan. My CE is looking forward to meeting my University Supervisor this coming Monday, as am I, and I feel comfortable at this point in the semester. Support I would like to receive throughout the course includes feedback and clear submission dates and expectations.

4 comments:

  1. Jessica,

    It sounds like you have done a wonderful job of transitioning into the leadership role in the classroom this week! I believe you are doing the right thing by taking that initiative to complete any classroom responsibilities you are offered. I really like how you said if there's an issue in the classroom, you encourage your students to share how they feel instead of solving it for them. I think it is awesome to begin teaching that kind of responsibility, communication, and problem solving to your students! I'm glad you had a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,

    I am so glad to hear that you had a great first week. I think that you are doing a great job with the transitioning. I was a TA in the class that I am student teaching and it is taking the students time to adjust to me taking over verses my CE doing everything. I think it will take them time to adjust but they will sooner than you think. Good luck next week as we conquer another week in student teaching.

    -Ashley Singleton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,
    You seem to be doing great in the classroom so far, this time as a student teacher! I think taking on the responsibilities of the class at a slow consistent pace, is the best way to do it. Making a slow transition into managing the class on your own, will be beneficial for students. I love the advice you gave about taking the time to get to know each student and their personalities. I have learned this week how each one really does have something special and unique about them, that makes knowing them a pleasure. I hope this coming week goes great for you! Best of luck in taking on another week and more responsibilities :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica,
    It is so important that you establish those relationships with your students. I am very glad to hear you are focusing on that. Young children will respond to you better if they feel comfortable and safe with you.

    ReplyDelete