To elaborate, hands-on, active approaches to learning have been very effective with the young children (ages 4-5 years old) I teach, as these children enjoy engaging in a wide range of experiences. After all, most experiences are still new to them. I have also found that I am able to maintain student interest in lesson content with a multitude of techniques and research based practices, including positive energy and enthusiasm for learning, asking questions giving children the opportunity to share what they know, and even giving them the opportunity to "teach" me something new. Engagement goes up exponentially when four-year-old's can correct their "mixed-up" teacher! Young students do have limited attention spans, although by alternating between very focused activities and vigorous gross motor activities, teachers can maintain student focus for longer periods of time, maximizing learning opportunities, often with students believing they are only engaged in play.
Reflecting on the best teachers I have had, and applying my knowledge of research-based practice, I can see that these teachers stood out to me because they were adapting themselves to my learning needs. In contrast, teachers I remember less fondly were very rigid in following "the plan," with little interest in differentiation or integrating multiple modalities of learning. Following the plan with no willingness to make adaptations leaves a large gap between the style of the teacher and the needs of the learner.
As professional educators, we know how to plan, how to teach, and how to assess. However, we must be sure that our process is entirely student-centered, and be prepared to deviate from the plan, if that is what our students need. Keeping children actively engaged makes learning fun and meaningful, while ensuring lesson content is relevant and developmentally appropriate demonstrates the professional approach to teaching every student needs to succeed. All students learn differently, and being a highly qualified professional educator gives us all we need to adapt and meet the needs of all students. For more information on creating engaging learning opportunities, click here, here, or check out the infographic below.

Jessica, I can see how hands on approaches with 4 and 5 year old students would be great in helping them stay engaged. I like hands on activities even now in college. I used to love it when my teachers would allow us to teach them what we had learned the day before. I think that this strategy would work well for that age group as well. Above all, being able to be flexible and modify what you are doing to fit the students that day will be most beneficial. Doing that is being a true leader of your classroom and facilitating learning.
ReplyDeleteMy goal is to have classroom somewhere between kindergarten and second grade and I love your input on hands-on work. I think for younger children doing things that keep them moving and helps to keep their minds on the task at hand. I have never worked in a classroom before but when I teach my two old new things I am constantly trying to do it in a way that makes it fun and that involves moving or manipulating something. I have found, with him at least, that by making up songs or by using manipulatives it helps him in staying focused and he quickly become excited when he understands what I am showing him. I think that when students can see how excited you are about teaching then they naturally feed off of that energy.
ReplyDelete